A Travellerspoint blog

Day 30 - Back to College

semi-overcast 30 °C

An early start, up at 5am as we'd pre-booked my PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course when we were back in the UK before we came out,
(well it was either in the UK with 6c water temp or Bali with 29c water temp) - a hard decision :-)
Irene had also booked a 3 day dive package with the same company, so we would hopefully dive the last day together after my 2 day course.
"Bali Diver's" picked us up just after 7am and drove us straight to the office to get our gear sorted.
We then found out that there was only us two, me and my instructor, so Irene joined me on my dives, which worked out great !
First day was going to be a 3 dive day, full on with underwater exercises and theory at the end of the day.
Today's 1st dive site was Manta Point, just off Nusa Penida Island about 45mins from the mainland.
We set off in calm waters, but then the current and waves took hold, the boat was flying everywhere.
Eventually we arrived and back rolled into this torrential sea, both of us felt sick before we even went under and
to make matters worse, I had to do my Peak Performance Buoyancy dive which involved me floating vertical, horizontal and head down !
We then went on to dive 2, a deep dive and to test my susceptence to Nitrogen Narcosis -
which basically means diving deep enough until the effects take place - getting "drunk" at 100ft down and
then performing some simple tests !
Tested completed we had some lunch, albeit not much food as re-boarding the boat was crazy;
It was flying up and down in the swell and very hard to get back on, by which time neither of us were hungry.
Thankfully we moved on to calmer waters for the last drive; a drift dive again in strong currents along a massive coral reef,
we set off and effortlessly glided along the reef spotting a few great giant turtles, a Barracuda and then a Moray Eel.
When we surfaced the boat picked us up and we thought we' covered about 800m when in fact it was nearly 3km ! (2 miles).
Once back to shore, I completed my theory exam and we returned to our hotel for a rest.
We decided to stretch our legs on some stable, solid ground after being in a boat for nearly 8hrs and
ate out in a local restaurant before an early night and day 2 !

Posted by Andy-Irene 05:41 Archived in Indonesia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint